Author Topic: Why do I need external hosting for contact forms?  (Read 62 times)

Offline elrubio

• Board Member
Why do I need external hosting for contact forms?
« on: December 06, 2018, 08:37:22 PM »
I'm looking at present to replace my SWR contact form with another one (current front-runner is Cognito). What I don't understand is why I need a third party to host the forms. Why wouldn't they go from the sender to my server (as emails do) and then to my email box?   

And my other question is why do we really need contact forms anyway? Why not just an email address?

Offline Mick

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Board Administrator
    • Live WebPlus Support
Re: Why do I need external hosting for contact forms?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 12:11:11 AM »
I'm looking at present to replace my SWR contact form with another one (current front-runner is Cognito). What I don't understand is why I need a third party to host the forms. Why wouldn't they go from the sender to my server (as emails do) and then to my email box?   

And my other question is why do we really need contact forms anyway? Why not just an email address?

You do not need a third party hosting server, only if you choose to use a form that is driven from a third party server where they give you specific code to copy and paste to your page.

If you use something like Forms To Go by Bebosoft, which is what I mentioned to you in another thread you posted in, (with no response) ( https://www.webplus-support.co.uk/board/index.php?topic=746.msg5524#msg5524 ), then everything gets processed from your own server via a single PHP file that is created in forms to go and processes your forms submitted data.

With regards to the question of why do I need a form anyway, the answer is simple, (A) Just an email address is neither secure and leaves you open to hackers via source code viewing and could/would leave you with a mountain of spam mail (B) Using an email address will not work for probably 60% of users who visit your contact page or want to get in touch because they use web based email accounts such as yahoo or hotmail or msn etc and rely solely on using a web browser to access their emails and may also not have or need an email client installed, which would be needed for a direct email address access and would then render any hyperlinked email address on your contact page, useless for these kind of users.

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 03:48:18 PM by Mick »
Live 1 to 1 WebPlus Support - [ninj] http://www.webplus-support.co.uk  [ninj] - If All Brides Are Beautiful, Where The Hell Do Ugly Women Come From? - I Have Enough Money To Last Me The Rest Of My Life, Providing I Die By Next Tuesday

The following users thanked this post: tomH, elrubio

Offline elrubio

• Board Member
Re: Why do I need external hosting for contact forms?
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 08:08:00 PM »
With regards to the question of why do I need a form anyway, the answer is simple, (A) Just an email address is neither secure and leaves you open to hackers via source code viewing and could/would leave you with a mountain of spam mail
I don't understand this highlighted bit (NB I have two email addresses on my website but on both the level of spam is OK but I accept it can be an issue).
« Last Edit: Today at 05:22:48 PM by elrubio »