Author Topic: New page added to my site.  (Read 190 times)

Offline Frank B.

• Support
  • Board Member
Re: New page added to my site.
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2017, 11:56:55 PM »
The acid test re. text to image conversion is to try running a text to speech option on the page when viewed in a browser. It may very well be that the text remains editable in WebPlus, but certainly if you preview your pages, it will convert to an image. Possible reason are that the text has been created as artistic text, or maybe the text container has been moved slightly on an angle which will render it as an image. The transparent quick shape doesn't appear to be doing its job, although it may well be causing the problem. If the quick-shape was doing the job as designed, dragging the block of text from the web page to the desktop would create a blank PNG image file. As it is, dragging a text block from the page creates a PNG of the text. I can only assume that the transparent overlay and the underlying text are being merged to create a single image. Ultimately, it doesn't really matter to anyone on this forum whether that's what you intended or otherwise - we were simply pointing it out as an issue that may impact your SEO. Also, I'm sure others here were only trying to offer up some constructive advice regarding grammar and spelling - it's nothing personal, just sound advice. I wish I had these guys on board to edit my books for me - it would save me a fortune in editing fees!!!

The following users thanked this post: Mick, Alfred

Offline Willabong

• Board Member
    • Bluebottle Exchange
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2017, 06:23:39 AM »
It is not what is said that is important Frank, it is how it is said! The only alteration to the poem text was to change the colour?
I think you are right about the overlay altering the state of the text, but it is more important to me to protect the actual text of the poems, and I can think of no other way to do this?

Offline Mick

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Board Administrator
    • Live WebPlus Support
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 06:26:41 AM »
Well I don't want to jump on the band wagon here as they say but after looking at the site/page in question and going through a source view, it does seem like the text being used "is" Artistic Text which 9 times out of 10 "on publish to the server" "will" create an image instead of basic text boxes even though you can probably still edit them in the program as text, as a test, I'd change some of the artistic text for html box text and upload to a test area on your server and then compare the 2
Live 1 to 1 WebPlus Support - [ninj] http://www.webplus-support.co.uk  [ninj]

Offline Archibald

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 12:33:23 PM »
It is not what is said that is important Frank, it is how it is said!
I am sorry that I upset you by what I said about the grammatical issues.  I was assuming that you must have seen those issues and decided to leave them as they were.  I saw the issues within one or two seconds of looking at each web page.  I have seen an instance of a website (from USA) where the webmaster was deliberately capitalising words intending to show a degree of emphasis whereas of course it made the website look extremely amateurish.  I hope such capitalisation is not common in USA.  I am aware that it can be questionable whether words should be capitalised, especially in document and section titles; also especially with job roles such as "managing director".  I am amazed at the number of websites I see where "your" is used where it should be "you're" and, less frequently, "lets" where is should be "let's".  My English is really bad: I was virtually bottom of my year cohort at school.  I'm probably very guilty of splitting infinitives and using "that" where I should use "which".

Offline Willabong

• Board Member
    • Bluebottle Exchange
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2017, 10:01:18 PM »
I have had two operations on my right eye and four other procedures in the last 1 year and 10 months, I was born with a defective left eye with very poor vision. The result is that even after this medical work, I have limited vision overall. So I am sorry to say that missing capitalisation or misspelling words is a hazard I find difficult to avoid! I didn't really want to mention my eyesight, as I knew it would sound like an excuse, but I need to clear up any future misunderstandings.
I have been on a short break holiday for the last five days, and have just returned home, so I will try some of your suggestions and let you know the result soon! [nerd] 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 10:19:24 AM by Willabong »

Offline Willabong

• Board Member
    • Bluebottle Exchange
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2017, 02:25:51 PM »
Removed the transparent quick shape from over the poem on the Underworld page and re-uploaded the page, and the text was still a picture. Checked my project file in WebPlus again and yes, it is Artistic text. But I have decided not to change it to normal text, because it would take to much of my time as almost every poem on every page is Artistic text!