Author Topic: Shongololo Express  (Read 337 times)

Offline ericlnz

• Board Member
Shongololo Express
« on: September 04, 2017, 12:02:17 PM »
This is for Albert now I've watched all seven of his South African adventures.  I actually feel like I've been there.  Although long videos they flowed well and held my interest.  Plenty of natural movement with the shots from the train, safari vehicles and fellow travellers climbing rocks and tramping up tracks.  Human activity is always interesting.  Only one technical comment - I find blur transitions distracting.

A few queries of a general nature though.

1 - Standing around drinking tea and munching biscuits in the middle of a reserve with wild animals around.  How safe were you.  Any man eaters around?  What about snakes if a call of nature meant popping behind a tree.

2 - What were the Zimbabwe ruins?

3 - You had a mixture of weather.  On hot days was it dry heat or humid?

4 - At the Victoria Falls how did you keep your camera dry.  Did you have someone holding a brolly?

5 - The trip was a train excursion so presumably you slept and eat on the train most times.  Looks like you had plenty of fine dining.

Well done.

Online Albert Ross

• Board Member
Re: Shongololo Express
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 01:46:52 PM »
Thanks so very much for your comments Eric, I'm glad that you enjoyed my efforts and managed to watch all seven videos right to the bitter end!! One comment I received from one of my You Tube 'friends' was that he found the diagonal bands transitions distracting. I guess it's a personal thing.

In answer to your questions,

1 - Standing around drinking tea and munching biscuits in the middle of a reserve with wild animals around.  How safe were you.  Any man eaters around?  What about snakes if a call of nature meant popping behind a tree.

I have to admit that I was quite surprised when we stopped and were told that we were on a refreshment break and allowed to stretch our legs. The guide gave as some really nice fresh muffins, yummy. Only problem was that with a muffin in one hand and a hot drink in the other it was impossible to use the camera.  How safe was it? Well, there was usually plenty of open space where we stopped so we could see any animals coming. In some places there were bomas or hedged enclosures that gave some protection, but not from the monkeys keen to grab the sugar packets. We did not come into contact with snakes and they were not mentioned by the guides and as the weather was very warm for the most part, toilet breaks were not required.

2 - What were the Zimbabwe ruins?

I can do no more than direct you here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Zimbabwe

3 - You had a mixture of weather.  On hot days was it dry heat or humid?

Thankfully it was a nice dry heat and as long as you applied the sun-cream liberally we had no problem with it.

4 - At the Victoria Falls how did you keep your camera dry.  Did you have someone holding a brolly?

We all had a rainproof cape to wear and while I was not using the camera I managed to secret it under the cape. Jill had a bit of a problem with her still camera, on our sunset cruise later in the afternoon, it started to make all kinds of expensive sounding noises and appeared slow to operate. Thankfully it dried out overnight and all was well - phew!!

5 - The trip was a train excursion so presumably you slept and eat on the train most times.  Looks like you had plenty of fine dining.

Yes and yes. The food on the train was generally very good, the only criticism we had was that when we ordered cheese and biscuits, we were given just one biscuit and two tiny pieces of cheese!! Needless to say that was the first and last time we ordered it.

All in all it was a fantastic holiday - apart from the fact we only saw domesticated lions* that we walked with, would have been good to see truly wild ones, our guides tried really hard, but it's a case of being in the right place at the right time, luck plays a big part.

BTW my 'friend who dislikes diagonal band transitions asked if he could make a slide show of some of Jill's pictures and here is the result.  https://youtu.be/VdPCuAAn3ok If you would like to see her pictures outside of the slide show they are here.
https://goo.gl/photos/aMmVyQnkHnGgRENY7

*Jill here, they were part of a breeding programme using lions from zoos, circuses etc. The lions are being bred to make them "wilder" and those that show most promise are being prepared for release into a secure reserve in three stages, one of which we experienced   (stage 1). One of the lionesses we walked with had in fact made her first kill a few days before our visit and was soon to move to stage 2 with her brother and sister.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 02:17:58 PM by Albert Ross »

Offline ericlnz

• Board Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 12:38:49 AM »
Thanks Albert & Jill.

Online Albert Ross

• Board Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 11:11:51 AM »
You may be interested in this video made by Rovos Rail giving you more information. https://youtu.be/HQPcuHp1yZ4 as you might imagine Eric I have watched loads of videos relating to this train journey and I think this one is one of the best.

Offline pioneer

• Nil Desperandum
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 04:20:27 PM »
Really nice work Albert.  Did you do them in MoviePlusX6?  I particularly liked the roll in transitions on Jill's picture slideshow. How did you obtain Marcus Warner's audio Africa?  Its haunting, a good choice.   Keep up the good work.  John

Online Albert Ross

• Board Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 09:15:51 PM »
Thanks John. I cannot take credit for the slideshow, it was made by somebody else who downloaded Jill's pictures from 'Google Photos' https://goo.gl/photos/aMmVyQnkHnGgRENY7 so I'm sorry but I don't know how he obtained the music, but I do agree with you that it was a very good choice for the slideshow.

My videos, all seven of them, were made using MVP.

Offline ericlnz

• Board Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 01:12:20 AM »
Yes a great record of what was obviously a great trip.  Don't think I would have been brave enough to stroke the lions!