Author Topic: Runtime Error  (Read 431 times)

Offline Archibald

Runtime Error
« on: August 04, 2017, 01:13:40 PM »
I'm trying to draw the artwork for a floor-standing roller banner 1200mm wide by 2000mm high.

While I have been able to export to a PDF file for printing, every time I try to export the drawing as an image my DrawPlus crashes with a runtime error as soon as I click on 'Export as an Image'.  It seems DrawPlusX4 simply can't cope with the dimensions of my drawing.

As a last resort I may be forced to post on Serif Community Plus for assistance!

Offline Smee

• Board Member
Re: Runtime Error
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 01:43:31 PM »
If memory serves, the PDF exported should actually be an AI file ... Adobe Illustrator image ... and should be able to be converted.

Simply change the extension from ".pdf" to ".ai", import to a painting program and export as the image you wish to send.

A few of my favorite pics ... http://www.500px.com/ccjr221

Offline Mick

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Board Administrator
    • Live WebPlus Support
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 01:56:43 PM »
Archi,

Can't say I've ever used DPX4 myself as I went into this program further down the line and still haven't done a great deal with it to be honest, but in DPX8 here, I've just used "export as an image" both in PNG and JPG format, an image with dimensions of 4500mm x 7500mm and no crashes or problems here. Feel free to email me your dpp file and I'll try it out in my version if it helps prove anything
Live 1 to 1 WebPlus Support - [ninj] http://www.webplus-support.co.uk  [ninj]

Offline Smee

• Board Member

Offline Mick

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Board Administrator
    • Live WebPlus Support
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 02:28:51 PM »
Smee,

Why would DPX4 or any other DrawPlus product version export to an Adobe Illustrator File (.ai) and doesn't really give the poster an answer to why DPX4 is crashing when exporting his project to an image file and not a PDF file
Live 1 to 1 WebPlus Support - [ninj] http://www.webplus-support.co.uk  [ninj]

Offline Archibald

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 02:34:14 PM »
Thanks for your replies.

If we use the same printing company that we've used before for leaflets, they accept PDF, EPS, TIFF, JPEG, GIF and PNG.  I have a file exported as PDF which should be fully acceptable although I've noticed the crop marks appear very tiny in relation to the size of the banner.

As the PDF is a rather large file, I was just wanting to export the design as a small image file in order to email to colleagues for any comments before ordering.  I ended up taking a screenshot off DPX4!

Thanks again.

Offline Smee

• Board Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 03:59:18 PM »
Smee,

Why would DPX4 or any other DrawPlus product version export to an Adobe Illustrator File (.ai) and doesn't really give the poster an answer to why DPX4 is crashing when exporting his project to an image file and not a PDF file

Please understand, a PDF file IS an AI file. Try it yourself.

Publish a graphic as a PDF. Change the extension to AI, and open it with your paint program that can read (or import) AI files.

How does Smee know this? While I was in the process of being ripped off by 99Design (they allowed other designers to copy my ideas and refine them once I would get close to what the client wanted, even though that is strictly forbidden in their TOS and I had a submission later rejected because they accused me of doing same) someone there who used DP for his work told me how it worked.

Since they required all finished work in AI format, I told the guy who invited me that I didn't have any adobe products. He said neither did he, but he just published as PDF and changed the extension to AI and submitted his work.

EDIT: added info, changed "Export" to the correct word, "Publish"
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 04:16:49 PM by Smee »

Offline Frank B.

• Support
  • Board Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 01:42:16 AM »
It would probably better to use a PDF reader application (preferably not Adobe Reader). Open the PDF file and if your reader app supports exporting or saving to an image format, use that instead. The reason I don't recommend Adobe for this is because they tend to want to sell you an add-on to allow for image exports, whereas, almost all of the free third party readers have an export option built in.

If you just want to output a JPG for review purposes, it probably doesn't need to be full size. So, you may like to try making a smaller copy of your banner and outputting that as a JPG. If the app still throws the same error, I suspect there may be a problem with your installation - try installing the app again and see what happens.

Offline Archibald

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 07:07:06 AM »
Thanks for your suggestions Frank  (thu)

The runtime error has been coming up as soon as I click 'Export' > 'Export as image'.  I guess it's due to running out of RAM memory, although I have 3GB installed, or running out of addressing range within DPX4. At the point when DPX4 crashes I would not expect it to be creating an image bitmap for its export process because it's before the dialog box is completed that requests export file type and pixel dimensions (or DPI).  I therefore guessed the runtime error is due to running out of RAM for the preview part of the dialog (although the dialog box does not appear before the crash).

I've often been frustrated that DPX4 remembers the DPI used for the previous image export, even from exporting some other drawing.  That gave me a clue as to how to perhaps work around this Serif bug.  I created a very simple A4-size drawing and changed the DPI setting in the dialog box from 96 to 10.  Now when I export my banner 10 DPI immediately appears in the dialog box and I don't get the runtime error. Simple!

Offline Sandy

• Board Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 10:41:47 AM »
Smee, absolutely agree your suggestion: -

"Publish a graphic as a PDF. Change the extension to AI, and open it with your paint program that can read (or import) AI files."

I created a graphic in DPX4 - saved as PDF, then changed the extension from .pdf to .ai and then opened the graphic in my Paint Shop Pro 9. Opened fine.

Edit. Obviously meant Publish as PDF, not save........
Sandy

Offline Smee

• Board Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 01:43:55 PM »
Thanks Sandy. I like that Paintshop Pro (since version X3) gives me the ability to say I want to import the AI graphic as a 72 DPI graphic, or a 300 DPI graphic, or whatever resolution I wish.

You gonna upgrade to PSP 2018? Sounds to me like they took a page our of Serif's playbook as it's mostly a "fluff" upgrade with no real improvements to the nuts and bolts of the program.

Offline Sandy

• Board Member
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 09:56:20 AM »
Hi Smee,

Have to agree with regard Serif's updates  - I have the whole lot to the very latest, but always resort to PPX4 and DPX4 which had all the necessary features and more for my work. And PPX4 and DPX4 were success stories for Serif, no different to XP for Microsoft - and a big success story too! My latest computer mag shows the UK Police still with 19,000 XP machines as of July 2017, alongwith the NHS, hundreds of businesses and tens of thousands of users like me worldwide. We all know the 'security risks' but XP was simply ahead of its time. Also, I won't be upgrading any more PSPros, version 9 is still fine for me.
Sandy