Author Topic: I found something I can replace MoviePlus with  (Read 3296 times)

Offline Smee

• Ninja
  • Board Member
Re: I found something I can replace MoviePlus with
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 11:05:22 PM »
Make sure affinity is set for ALL processors. I have a four core, affinity must be set to all, just like MP.

Next, set process priority to above normal (mine is set to "real time").

You should see a big boost in performance and stability.
A few of my favorite pics ... http://www.500px.com/ccjr221

Online tomH

• Board Member
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2017, 11:28:33 PM »
Thanks. I checked and affinity for all 8 cores was selected. I did change  Corel's process priority from normal to high. Not sure that it helped because the machine still freezes using Corel program. I 'll give it another go tomorrow.

Offline ericlnz

• Board Member
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2017, 01:13:51 AM »
a PNG image can't be moved past the program imposed Action & Title Safe Areas, leaving the image in the left (or right) third of the clip. The selection box next to the Title Safe Area text is missing.

That's weird.  I can move a png image right off screen.  You are using the Event Pan/Crop window?

Not sure what you mean by the selection box.

Online tomH

• Board Member
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2017, 01:47:13 AM »
Yes, very weird. I put text clip up and could move it any place on the screen, but not this PNG. I've attached a view as well as the Preference screen.

Offline ericlnz

• Board Member
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2017, 10:04:43 AM »
Tom, be warned Magix are no longer selling MS13 as MS14 has now been released.  It also has a 30 day trial download.

Online tomH

• Board Member
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 03:57:20 PM »
Thanks Eric. I have spent some time now with Corel and Magix and decided to dump Corel. It was not easy to use, couldn't process several MOV clips and took forever to render.

MovieStudio has it's own learning challenges but a little searching is resolving them.That problem with PNG images not filling the screen? Fixed: just had to use a aspect ratio checkbox--similar to MP+ crop/stretch/letterbox command. Overall I found that MovieStudio to be a fine alternative to MP+. Just before buying a MovieStudio serial number I was on Ebay and got a great buy on SonyVegas Pro 13, which I got for the extra bells and whistles over MovieStudio, cheaper too.

Offline Smee

• Ninja
  • Board Member
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2017, 06:22:31 PM »
Thanks Eric. I have spent some time now with Corel and Magix and decided to dump Corel. It was not easy to use, couldn't process several MOV clips and took forever to render.

Yeah, had the "took forever to render" problem ... found out that you need to set up the movie correctly before you start adding clips or images or sound.

This is not a criticism of anyone, because everyone has their own likes, dislikes, as well as their own way of doing things --- even their own opinion of HOW things should work. That is why there are more than one video editor. That is also why some fall to the wayside: Not enough people like the results or the work flow or the price or the documentation or something else. These products fall away and are discontinued. That is what happened to MoviePlus. Could be any one reason, or any combination of all of the above. Quite simply, though, it wasn't popular enough in the general market to justify continuing it. It wasn't discontinued because they wanted to retool, it was discontinued because it lacked enough of a following.

I only ran across Corel's product because it came in a bundle with my copy of PaintShop Pro X5. Buy Paintshop, get VideoStudio X5. Not a difficult decision, especially since PSPX5 was heavily discounted. I was still using MPX5 at the time and VideoStudio wasn't installed for almost a year. It (VSX5) got installed when a video created with MPX5 for my daughter's graduation party. did not function on a standard DVD player during her party. In fact, it would only play properly on my computer which is not very portable.

In my experience, I found Corel to actually be simpler than MPX5. The rendering takes a little longer, but the results are accordingly better.

Then again, I don't do that many videos. More than 50 but less than 70 I know of in the last two or so years, and most of my videos have been slides/words/video combinations for small audiences under 100. I also know I'll never win any big awards for those efforts, but I was able to get exactly what I wanted each time. Whether it was a slide show, or putting words on screen and timing to music (think karaoke), creating instructional items using my own video animations rendered from other sources like Poser or Bryce, as well as editing others' existing presentations to fit an exact time restriction - it was all easier for ME in VSX5.

I do know one thing though, I have had to spend absolutely no time on their forums or others begging for help. I found the interface to be much more intuitive than Serif's. The help files were great. Everything was well thought out and the answers (if unable to learn through trial and error) were usually in one of their video tutorials available online.

Check those out, even if you don't use their software. I found them to be very helpful.

Again, these are my experience ... your mileage may vary.

Online tomH

• Board Member
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2017, 10:03:06 PM »
I agree with your points in the 2nd paragraph (couldn't figure out how to quote just 2 sentences) Smee. I know some folks who find MoviePlus baffling while others , like me, have no trouble with it. I found the tools and interface easier to grasp with the Magix program, and clearly others don't.

Every week I make several 10-15 minute videos for local fraternal and veterans organizations. Like yours, they are a combination of commercially purchased clips, slides, and photos complimented with text to sell or advertise something. No sound since they are used in bars that already noisy enough. Corel's program just didn't suit me for the work I do--or maybe it's the way I do the work.

Offline Smee

• Ninja
  • Board Member
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2017, 03:29:59 AM »
Yes Tom, each of us is unique in how we do things, and it's a matter of what fits me may or may not fit the next person.

Thanks for taking what I said in the spirit it was meant.

Be well.

Offline Smee

• Ninja
  • Board Member
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2017, 11:50:56 PM »
I fiddled around with the demo product, and it was just not quite right, so I didn't purchase until last evening. Got upgrade pricing of $24.99 USD so figured I would bite.

5.15 GB download, but works even smoother than X9 did. Of course, I got the X10 Ultimate (one step above pro, 2 above standard) at that price so actually quite happy with the results on my 7 year old computer running Windows 10.

Did some video for the Prosecuting Attorney's Office and it went off without a hitch (piecing together surveillance footage). Editing is faster and lots of shiny new filters and effects to play with.

Offline Ice-Cold

• Board Member
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2017, 12:36:25 AM »
When your on the road or just like to edit video without the use of a desktop computer I can recommend this powerful application:

https://luma-touch.com

On YouTube you can find plenty tuts & reviews.

Offline ericlnz

• Board Member
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2017, 03:23:47 AM »
Appears to be Apple only. No mention of an Android version.

Offline Ice-Cold

• Board Member
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2017, 06:35:02 AM »
Correct, dunno if they will release an Android version. It is from the creators/developers of Pinnacle Studio.