Author Topic: I found something I can replace MoviePlus with  (Read 2379 times)

Offline Smee

• Board Member
I found something I can replace MoviePlus with
« on: February 13, 2017, 10:56:22 PM »
Not for everyone, but I'm very happy with Corel's VideoStudioX8 Ultimate. It has completely replaced MoviePlus in my stable of software. Actually Videostudio X5 standard replaced MoviePlus but I've upgraded twice. X8 ultimate has met all my needs but seriously considering X10. Comes with lots of effects, titles as well as free downloadable content after you've purchased the program.

Check out the demo version and you may find you like it. Here's the link:

http://dwnld.videostudiopro.com/trials/x10/VideoStudioX10_Installer.exe
(updated / corrected 2017/02/14 13:04 CST)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 07:14:37 PM by Smee »
A few of my favorite pics ... http://www.500px.com/ccjr221

Offline Albert Ross

• Board Member
Re: I found something I can replace MoviePlus with
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 10:21:14 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation Smee, it's so difficult trying to decide what to replace the irreplaceable with, if that's not too Irish!! Had a look on You Tube for a tutorial to try and get a flavour of what to expect. Cannot find a list of specifications. I know it does multiple video tracks, is that unlimited or is there a limit to it? The bottom video track appears to take precedence over the top one, that is the reverse of MVP - will take a little getting use to. Not too keen on the drag and drop  transitions, had that with Pinnacle Studio, it did not bother me at the time, but MVP has really spoilt me, a quick overlap and into the transition gallery, no dragging needed.  I know comparisons are odious, but sometimes it's difficult to avoid it.

I am in no rush to change at the moment, but I guess I will have to eventually.

Offline Albert Ross

• Board Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 10:40:39 AM »
Just found this comparison chart which looks, at first glance, reasonable comprehensive. A mere 21 video tracks and 8 audio tracks - cannot see me using any more than that!!

http://www.videostudiopro.com/en/products/videostudio/ultimate/#compare

Offline Smee

• Board Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 01:31:55 PM »
... and you can create masks within the program as well.

The feel is (IMO) very similar to MP. Was quite comfortable from the beginning.

Offline tomH

• Board Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 03:55:37 PM »
Just downloaded trial versions of Magix's Movie Studio Platinum13 and Corel's VideoStudio Ultimate x10. Be interesting to see how they compare in intuitiveness & ease of use as well as a finished project, which in my case is either Youtube or MP4 on an SD card.

Offline tomH

• Board Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 06:39:21 PM »
Well, I may just have to test the Magix program. The Corel downloaded but won't install, just says has encountered error. Tried using safe mode, got message that must be connected to the Internet. Looking for solution found many similar complaints-unresolved. Have submitted ticket to Corel but not holding my breath for a response.

Offline Smee

• Board Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 06:48:45 PM »
It uses a licensing procedure that does require it to go online when installing. Why try safe mode though? I usually right click and tell windows to run install programs as an administrator.

What version of Windows are you using?

Offline Smee

• Board Member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 06:59:53 PM »
Ah, ok. The "installer" is what you first download, then it downloads the program and installs it  ... just like Serif's demo downloads. You will definitely need to be ONLINE to do the install.

The purchased program is a full download that you can burn to DVD (just like Serif's downloads) and you will have all the extras to download as well at the time of purchase.

BorisFX alone is worth more than they charge for the upgrade ($59.99 USD now, but it will drop lower in a couple of months).

BTW, probably won't run on XP.

Offline tomH

• Board Member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 07:07:10 PM »
Thanks Smee. I did try administrator route with same results-error. It shuts down after 12 seconds. I did get answer from Corel tech svcs and they advised turn off firewall, anti-virus. Did that too, no joy. Awaiting their next suggestion.

Running Win7 2TB, 16 Gb ram so don't think the computer is the problem.

Offline Smee

• Board Member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 07:09:18 PM »
Corel just provided me with the corrected link.

http://dwnld.videostudiopro.com/trials/x10/VideoStudioX10_Installer.exe

The page is still trying to download X9 ... and that software is not available.

Offline tomH

• Board Member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 07:14:12 PM »
Hey, that may be the trick! The trial version is downloading 1.1 GB compared to 1.1 Mb for version 9.

Thanks.

Offline Smee

• Board Member
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 08:20:02 PM »
One thing I really love with Videostudio is its ability to create its own background music ... lots of choices and variations with X8 - haven't purchased x10 yet (as with Serif, usually get every other update) so can't say about that one. Just above the timeline there is a music symbol ... that's how to access it.

Adorage filters are my absolute favorite transitions, but lots of zoom, pan, etc.

Great title effects as well. Also the ability to speed up / slow down your video.

Offline tomH

• Board Member
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 08:23:53 PM »
I just had a quick tour of VS X10 and have to get used to the interface. I did try some chroma-keying and it worked better than MP. I'll have to try the music application in a bit. Much to learn!

Offline ericlnz

• Board Member
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2017, 01:48:45 AM »
Tom, I'll be interested to hear how you find Vegas MovieStudio 13 compares to the Corel product.  I did look at it along with others a couple of years ago but forget what didn't appeal to me.  Corel also have Pinnacle Studio but when I last checked there wasn't a free trial available.

With your Magix Vegas D/L it behaves similarly to the Corel method.  You download an installer which downloads the actual programme.  The programme file can be found afterwards in your User Documents in a MAGIX Downloads folder.

As for music, Magix are now including ACID Music Studio along with Soundforge in the Vegas Movie Studio Platinum suite.  Soundforge is similar to Audacity and ACID comes with 2.6gb of loops for creating your own music.  I'm not musical but a quick play around was interesting so it has potential.

With all editing programmes it takes months to get to grips with their inner tricks both good, and bad.  Ultimately it's what you produce with your programme that matters, not what you use.  I've friends who feel they have to have the best pro editing programme and probably use about 2% of its capabilities producing basically one track holiday movies.

If you're looking for something to do there's also the Magix programmes you could try, Cyberlink Power Director, Premier Elements, plus others  :)

Offline tomH

• Board Member
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2017, 10:56:18 PM »
After several hours fiddling with both products, MovieStudio13 shows promise. The Corel program freezes the computer every 2-3 minutes, and the trial version won't allow hardware acceleration!  I'm finding MS13 to be persnickety as well: a PNG image can't be moved past the program imposed Action & Title Safe Areas, leaving the image in the left (or right) third of the clip. The selection box next to the Title Safe Area text is missing.

I find the Corel program track-layout backward and, frankly, stupid. Whatever is on the bottom track is actually upmost on the video. I haven't gotten into applying filters or transitions, still leaning how to manipulate clips and tracks.

Enough for one day.