Author Topic: The History of MoviePlus  (Read 1271 times)

Offline ericlnz

• Board Member
The History of MoviePlus
« on: January 08, 2017, 10:58:19 AM »
As our beloved MVP slides into the mists of history I'd like to put down what I can in its memory.

Whoever designed it was brilliant.  Whilst it didn't have as many fancy effects as other consumer editors it provided editing facilities that I find missing in every other editor I've looked at or tried.  With all video editors you need to dig deep and spend time before you find what they are and aren't capable of.  MVP's transform adjustment is superb as is its unlimited tracks and groups for both video and audio. Adjustments and effects that can be applied to clips, tracks and groups with everything able to be animated with keyframes.  And keyframes where not only could you adjust their mode of change (linear, cubic smooth etc), but also how it should stay positioned (relative to start or end, absolute, proportional etc).

My introduction to MVP was a special disk offer which contained MVP1.  MVP4 was the latest version at the time but who can resist a special deal from Natasha.  Remember her?  Anyway MVP1 was a dog, constantly crashing.  But I was inspired enough to purchase MVP5.  It was different in several ways. The one I most remember was how effects such as colour adjustments were done.  I recall there being a different track for these.  At the time I was converting my old 8mm films to DVD and had to redo my MVP1 projects when I opened them in MVP5.  I don't know what MVP4 was like but obviously there was a major rewrite.  X3 followed, then X5, and lastly X6 and that was it.  Jon White at Serif who looked after MVP development was superb.  Obviously very bright he was also helpful and approachable. To my knowledge he's still there in the Affinity team.

RIP MoviePlus, you served me well for ten years.  Yes, I have now moved on but that's another story.

Offline tomH

• Board Member
Re: The History of MoviePlus
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 01:12:29 PM »
Eric, what have you moved to? I have looked at Premiere, Sony and Magix but still, for now, rely on MoviePlus for my projects.

Offline Albert Ross

• Board Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 01:18:19 PM »
I find it quite strange how a bit of computer software can evoke so many happy memories. Yes, obviously the final output is designed to do just that, as you re-run for the millionth time the video you took of Bognor Regis back in the last century! I don't know why I cited that particular sea-side town, I have only been there a couple of times, and that was long before video camcorders were invented, but bare with me...

Unlike Eric, I came to MoviePlus very recently, about five years ago when I discovered that I could no longer use Pinnacle with High Definition video and was seeking a suitable alternative.  What was the reason I chose Serif? Unashamedly it was all to do with price, and even then, my wife was not too keen on having to fork out £60 on top of the £600 I had forked out for a replacement camcorder, and then I thought I might have to find some more money for a Blu-Ray writer for the computer and not to mention a Blu-Ray player to go under the TV!! As it turned out, thanks to these forums, I discovered that I did not have to spend money on the last two items.

Once I got through the rigmarole of learning where things were and how to do the basics, I found the program so much more versatile than my old editing software, even having more than a single video track was beyond Pinnacle's ability. We all know it had it's faults, but what software doesn't? I don't suppose I will 'move on' any time soon as the program works just fine, and I am far too lazy to want to learn yet another piece of software.

Offline ericlnz

• Board Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 10:21:00 AM »
and even then, my wife was not too keen on having to fork out £60 on top of the £600 I had forked out for a replacement camcorder,

Jill obviously holds the purse strings!  But in your videos she appears to have expensive camera equipment!

Offline ericlnz

• Board Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 10:31:57 AM »
Eric, what have you moved to? I have looked at Premiere, Sony and Magix but still, for now, rely on MoviePlus for my projects.

Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 13. The rebranded Magix version since they purchased most of the Sony Creative Software range.  Version 14 is due out in Feb.

I wasn't impressed with Magix's own editor when I tried it out a few years ago.  Like Corel with their two lines it seems Magix will keep both.  I will still use MVP for some things.  There is a lot MVP does easier and better than Vegas MS and some things the latter doesn't have.  For example no audio buses or animation (keyframes) of audio effects.  But in other areas Vegas MS has its own convenient tricks and digs in deeper with effects.  For example a recent CP post asked about moving the centre of an Iris transform in MVP.  You cannot, but in Vegas MS you can easily.  I haven't found anything that I could do in MVP I cannot do in Vegas MS.  I've found alternative ways and am learning to approach things from a different perspective.  I'll post my first 3 min video done in Vegas MS in a few days.

Offline tomH

• Board Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 01:07:03 PM »
Thanks Eric. Looking forward to your new video.

Offline Albert Ross

• Board Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 04:20:26 PM »
and even then, my wife was not too keen on having to fork out £60 on top of the £600 I had forked out for a replacement camcorder,

Jill obviously holds the purse strings!  But in your videos she appears to have expensive camera equipment!

Actually Eric, I'm the one who holds the purse strings,  Jill holds the credit and debit cards!

How does the Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 13 program compare with Sony Movie Studio which you were discussing with John back in August, is it basically the same program with a few extra bells and whistles? I assume that you have had it for a little while as you say a newer version will be launched next month, will you be tempted to go for it?

I suppose I should be looking at other software to replace MVP seeing as Serif will not be supporting it for very much longer, but it will be a wrench, everything is at your finger tips with that brilliantly designed properties pane and all of those lovely tabs just waiting to be used. 'Crop' and 'Transform'  are my two favourites and with the use of keyframes there is nothing you cannot do, or at least attempt to do. It's just the shear ease and simplicity that I love, very little searching for things in menu items etc.  Even the clip's duration and start times are there just in case you need them. I don't suppose your new program has that kind of information - or does it?

Had a quick look at their forum, what an odd layout, I know CP looks odd when you first encounter it but...   Anyway just a question of getting used to it I guess. Talking about odd forums, I still struggle with the Nero one. I had an email  notification this morning about something or other I posted in a few months ago and I needed to open up a 'comment' button in order to see my contribution to it. Seems unnecessarily complicated to me.

Offline ericlnz

• Board Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 08:51:43 AM »
Thanks Eric. Looking forward to your new video.

It's here https://vimeo.com/198802408.  I'll post it in the video section later.

As it's not yet for general release you need the password which is  'bodmin' without the quotes and all in lowercase.

Offline ericlnz

• Board Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 09:46:14 AM »

How does the Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 13 program compare with Sony Movie Studio which you were discussing with John back in August, is it basically the same program with a few extra bells and whistles? I assume that you have had it for a little while as you say a newer version will be launched next month, will you be tempted to go for it?

Yes 13 is an update on 12.  The original Sony version 13 has been out a few years.  Movie Studio was in the doldrums so I'm looking forward to seeing what 14 has although I won't be rushing.

Offline ericlnz

• Board Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 09:52:41 AM »

I suppose I should be looking at other software to replace MVP seeing as Serif will not be supporting it for very much longer, but it will be a wrench, everything is at your finger tips with that brilliantly designed properties pane and all of those lovely tabs just waiting to be used. 'Crop' and 'Transform'  are my two favourites and with the use of keyframes there is nothing you cannot do, or at least attempt to do. It's just the shear ease and simplicity that I love, very little searching for things in menu items etc.  Even the clip's duration and start times are there just in case you need them. I don't suppose your new program has that kind of information - or does it?

The information is there but in different ways.  I missed MVPs Properties pane at first with its great use for fine tuning a clips start time, duration etc.  But MS has its only useful features.  Like MVP the more you play the more you find.  It does not have the Transform adjustment like MVP.  You can perform some of what it does with the Pan/Crop window and Track Motion and its Deform FX is useful.  One useful feature is the ability to alter the order in the plug in chain as this can effect the outcome with some effects and pan/crop.

Offline ericlnz

• Board Member
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 09:57:41 AM »

Had a quick look at their forum, what an odd layout, I know CP looks odd when you first encounter it but...   Anyway just a question of getting used to it I guess. Talking about odd forums, I still struggle with the Nero one. I had an email  notification this morning about something or other I posted in a few months ago and I needed to open up a 'comment' button in order to see my contribution to it. Seems unnecessarily complicated to me.

Which forum did you look at.  Magix have created a special forum for Vegas and it imports posts from the old Sony Creative Software forum.  This to me shows considerable commitment from Magix.  The forum is https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/news-forum/.  There are also other forums such as Creative Cow, Dr Zen and maybe others.

At least MS is 64 bit (there's no 32 bit version now) and going forward it does seem to have a future.

Offline Albert Ross

• Board Member
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 02:03:40 PM »
Just retraced my forum seeking steps from yesterday and it did lead me to the forum link you posted Eric. I suppose I thought it looked odd simply because I hadn't seen that style of forum before, what with it's fat roundy face avatars etc!!

If I were to follow in your footsteps Eric, I would need to upgrade my computer, as it's only a 32 bit machine, I haven't had it that long, about ten years I guess.

Offline ericlnz

• Board Member
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 10:27:17 PM »
Just retraced my forum seeking steps from yesterday and it did lead me to the forum link you posted Eric. I suppose I thought it looked odd simply because I hadn't seen that style of forum before, what with it's fat roundy face avatars etc!!

If I were to follow in your footsteps Eric, I would need to upgrade my computer, as it's only a 32 bit machine, I haven't had it that long, about ten years I guess.

Ten years is a long time in the ever changing computer world.  It obviously depends a lot on how you use it but I get a new pc roughly every six years by which time hardware is getting dodgy and once I had a HD fail completely.  Over the years I've gone from DOS 4 to Win 95 to XP to Vista to now Win 10!

Offline Albert Ross

• Board Member
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 10:47:35 PM »
It's just my nature Eric, generally speaking I don't change many of my stuff until it falls apart. I've had my car since 2006, my washing machine is of a similar vintage. We have only had our fridge around 18 months and we only replaced that due to the old one didn't work any more and it was so old they had quit making spare parts for it!!

I'm not very good at having to make decisions on what make/model of thing to buy so I tend to wait and wait and wait until I cannot wait any longer - how sad am I? When I bought my 'new' camcorder back in 2012, I was horrified that I couldn't buy a 'What Camcorder' magazine to help me choose the best make and model, something I did in 2000 when I bought my Sony camcorder before it broke up some 12 years later. Ended up having to go to Currys to see what they had to offer.

As far as my computer history is concerned, I started off with a Sinclair Spectrum in 1981, graduated to a Commodore Amiga around 1992, then onto my first PC running Windows 95 - XP - Vista and around three years ago bought a laptop running Widows 7.

Offline ericlnz

• Board Member
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 11:51:32 PM »
I've also had my car since 2006 but I don't do many k's nowadays.  My washing machine is a lot older than yours.  It's clothes where us males get good mileage.  I still have socks that go back to the 90s!