Author Topic: XaraTutstra  (Read 2686 times)

Offline Lon in NWArkansas

• Ninja
  • Board Member
Re: XaraTutstra
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 09:46:05 AM »

Strange about that grouping thing converting everything to images - it shouldn't really do that. I'm not sure I remember, but did WebPlus do that? The only reason that I like to keep all the text as text is for SEO purposes, even if it is simple headings. It also allows SIRI to read out the web pages for me - I'm getting really lazy these days. However, I've been told a lot of site visitors who have poor eyesight often use Mac's text to speech option to read out web pages, so it's good to keep as much text as possible.

Well, I'm just guessing at this point, and still learning my way around Xara, much like a blind man (which I nearly am).  With each of those smaller black horizontal section dividers, I kept playing with various settiings....no grouping, to all grouped...in order to make the three pieces appear, and then to make them all slide under the "stick to top" banner.  Mostly, the scissors kept disappearing on me, until, out of frustration, I simply grouped all three.  Only then, did everything slide behind the banner.

Naturally, I tried a lot of "move to back" options.  But, with Xara, there are only "move to back" and "move to front".  There is no "step forward/back" option, as Serif implemented.  I'll come back and revisit those shortly.  But, since that may very well change in a production version, I'll just leave as-is for now, so that the client can at least take a look at it today, or tomorrow.

Thanks again.

EDIT:  I stand corrected.  There are abilities to move back or forward, a layer or step at a time. They have names that are not quite as obvious at first....especially with only one eye scanning.  Ugh!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 10:43:51 AM by Lon in NWArkansas »

• Ninja
  • Board Member
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 12:19:25 PM »
Frank,

What I've discovered, is that if something is stretchy, (fills a browser edge-to-edge), then while it can be made to stick to the top, it is behind all other content.  No amount of "bring forward" will change that. And, that was part of the problem I encountered with the barber shop mockup.  Playing today with my own site makeover, I decided to see if I could tackle that issue.

In this mockup start, the wide banner that holds the logo and menu is actually two black rectangles....one that is set to stretch, and is behind everything else.  The second, of the same height, is set to "stick at top" only.  That way, I can move it forward (there was a photo behind it for a while, but I ditched that idea). However, to get the logo, menu (mockup) and the text box to play nicely, they had to be grouped with the smaller black rectangle.

It's still just a play mockup, allowing me to experiment and better learn Xara at the same time.  LINK: http://lpleblanc.com/cbox1/  EDIT: This is a live, working, changing mockup. There's no telling what state it will be in, if you click on the link. It's not meant for critique, either, as it is mostly a mule, to test ideas on right at the moment.

...btw...one of the more helpful tips I got from the TalkGraphics forum last night is a faster way to COPY/PASTE.  I was desperately missing Serif's CTRL + Left Mouse button and drag.  In Xara, it's a right click of a selected object and drag.  Way helpful.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 12:50:07 PM by Lon in NWArkansas »

Offline Smee

• Board Member
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2017, 01:58:30 PM »
Lon, create a layer for your sticky items and only put those in the layer. Make that layer the top one and you should be good.

A few of my favorite pics ... http://www.500px.com/ccjr221

The following users thanked this post: Lon in NWArkansas

• Ninja
  • Board Member
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2017, 02:24:51 PM »
I sure am wanting to figure out how to work with some of the background files in their templates.  I can see them, and copy them, but I can't get them to look the same when I paste them over into my file...or, even when I delete their content, and just add my content to their background.  But, it took a while to get the hang of Serif's backgrounds, too.

This template has a nice blue background, fading to black, with some lens flairs added in.  Nice.  http://www.xara.com/us/web-designer/templates/#mb=/themes/v12/flare/||undefined

• Ninja
  • Board Member
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2017, 02:25:33 PM »
Lon, create a layer for your sticky items and only put those in the layer. Make that layer the top one and you should be good.

DOH!  Forgot entirely about that.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 02:49:46 PM by Mick »

• Ninja
  • Board Member
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2017, 03:05:07 PM »

That did help a lot.  But, I'm still "no joy" on the background.  It really is not WYSIWYG this morning.  What I see in my browser looks just as I want. But, on publish, it's really a mess.  More homework there, I'm afraid.

Thanks for the layer mention. I read about that in the help file, but totally spaced on simply creating a new one.

Offline Alfred

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Board Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2017, 12:49:46 AM »
Lon, what's ZaraTutstra?  I cannot find it on the Magix site, only Zara Web Designer.

[rotfl]  Alfred will be along shortly to educate us, I'm certain.

EDIT:  I was just curious and asking who's using Xara to create websites?  Either regularly, or exclusively?

It seems Alfred is having a lie in this morning UK time.
I may well have been having a lie in on Sunday morning, but I've actually only just caught up with this thread. It looks as though Lon figured I would get the Zoroastrian reference in his thread title, even if no one else did. ;)
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)

Offline ericlnz

• Board Member
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2017, 01:01:35 AM »
To quote from a BBC page:

"Zoroastrianism is one of the world's oldest monotheistic religions.

It was founded by the Prophet Zoroaster in ancient Iran approximately 3500 years ago."

So I'm even more confused!

• Ninja
  • Board Member
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2017, 01:08:00 AM »

It was founded by the Prophet Zoroaster in ancient Iran approximately 3500 years ago."

Yes, I was certain that when you visited BODMIN again, you would get the...er... XaraThrustra of my meaning...cryptic though it is.

Offline ericlnz

• Board Member
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2017, 01:11:30 AM »
I give up.  You web guys are on a different intelligent level to me.

• Ninja
  • Board Member
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2017, 01:13:16 AM »
I give up.  You web guys are on a different intelligent level to me.

Alfred might be.  I just struggle to pretend I'm there.   [rotfl]

Offline Alfred

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Board Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2017, 07:59:36 PM »

I was reading something that reminded me of this thread, so (before I forget again!) I thought I should pop back and provide the following link:
https://www.ancient.eu/zoroaster/
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)