Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1278 times)

Offline Julia-Fraser

• J
  • Board Member
    • Saturation Point
Hello
« on: December 03, 2016, 03:43:43 PM »
I'm Julia, just joined this group, so this is to introduce myself.

I'm the wrong side of 60 but still work full time and am a grandma. I do websites as a hobby, now up to eight of them, mostly for friends and family. I've used WebPlus x6 for about 5 years, very happily, but just recently (suddenly, about 3 weeks ago) started to have problems with it repeatedly hanging after launching it. So I contacted Serif and of course found out the software was no longer supported.

I used to use the old Forum when I was learning to use Webplus, and have looked at the Serif community pages, and now, thanks to George, I've found myself here. Currently wondering if my problem is going to get worse or whether I will be able to struggle on with WebPlus for a while. In any case, I'm starting to look at alternatives.  Needs to be Wysiwyg and not too hard to learn.

I use hardly any widgets or library items on my sites; just very simple, with text and images, and some sliders and galleries. Most of the sites are quite small, but my main one, www.SaturationPoint.org.uk, is over 95 MB.

The main thing I also want to do, if I get new software, is make a responsive site. For my artists' sites, most users look at them on a PC rather than a mobile (according to Google) but this may be a circular argument.

I think that's enough!

Julia

Offline Frank B.

• Support
  • Board Member
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 05:02:31 PM »
Hi Julia,

Welcome aboard. I took a look at your example site - very clean and modern looking - well done.

I don't think age is a problem when it comes to web design - there are a lot of us on the wrong side of 60! But, with age comes calm restraint - exactly what is needed in the world of graphic and web design.

The original Serif forums were a great place to find help and assistance with serif products. Unfortunately, since the rise of C+, many of the original contributors now keep a low profile. This has been due to the often rude and arrogant responses to users questions - in some cases, people get chastised over there for simply offering solutions that others disagree with. Here, you may not find as many posts, but you will generally be treated with courtesy. A few of the Serif old-schoolers still drop in from time to time, so you may find some familiar names.

Anyway, getting back to your issue, yes, webplus is heading for the scrapheap. A shame really because it has done a good job of introducing the dark art of web design to many who would never have got into that business. Now, times are a changin' and us oldies have to move on and adapt to the latest technologies. Personally, I like Adobe Muse as an alternative. However, as a web design company, we also use other products such as Sparkle. We are able to look at different options because we operate in a Mac environment that allows us to use apps that are designed specifically for the OSX platform. Fortunately, Muse is available in Windows and Mac so you should give it a try.

Attached is a comparison document that was published here some time ago. Unfortunately the link now goes to an old domain that is no longer alive. Hopefully, the file will attach to this post so you can download the PDF and take a look.

If you want to try out any alternative, feel free to post any questions you may have on these forums. There is a wider breadth of knowledge here regarding other products, so answers should be forthcoming fairly quickly.

Nice to see you here, I hope you stick around. While you're here, take a look at some of the other sections regarding design generally - you may find some helpful tips and tricks.

Offline Alfred

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Board Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 05:23:23 PM »
Attached is a comparison document that was published here some time ago. Unfortunately the link now goes to an old domain that is no longer alive. Hopefully, the file will attach to this post so you can download the PDF and take a look.
Thanks for uploading the document again, Frank. I didn't download it the first time around, but I've just been alerted to its renewed availability by 'George' on CommunityPlus, so I'll add it to my library shortly.

Edit: It's now available here.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)

Offline Frank B.

• Support
  • Board Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 10:00:38 PM »
Thanks for uploading the document again, Frank. I didn't download it the first time around, but I've just been alerted to its renewed availability by 'George' on CommunityPlus, so I'll add it to my library shortly.

Ah! The one that got away Alfred - At least you've caught it now. If there is anything else missing that you need, let me know.

Offline Julia-Fraser

• J
  • Board Member
    • Saturation Point
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 07:27:02 AM »
Alfred and Frank,
Thanks very much for this. I've kept a copy of the pdf document and just started reading it. Looks very promising.
I am now considering a two-pronged approach:

1. Buy Webplus x8 now, (£20) to get rid of the immediate Webplus x6 hanging problem and allow me to carry on seamlessly with my sites (assuming x6 files import OK on the x8 software).
2. Also buy Muse, and start building my smaller sites on it, to get used to it, and learn how to make responsive sites, so that when I have more time (when I retire in three years time) I can switch to Muse completely and re-build the big site (Saturation Point).

Now does this sound sensible, or are there drawbacks I haven't thought of? For example, if Muse is upgraded/ improved periodically, would I be better to wait, and what is the Muse pricing structure, regarding updates?

Thanks again for your help
Julia

Julia

Offline Willabong

• Board Member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 10:57:23 AM »
As to number 1 on your list Julia, you may have minor problems after importing x6 sites into x8, nothing serious, just small corrections needed to alignment of some objects and text boxes. Then you save the site as an x8 project and re-upload!

Offline Martin Taylor

• Support
  • Board Member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 01:16:59 PM »
... what is the Muse pricing structure, regarding updates?

Muse is one of Adobe's Creative Cloud apps, so you subscribe to use it, and you are always on the latest version.

Pricing is (for UK incl VAT) - £159.94 single payment for 12 months; £13.33 per month if you commit to a year; or £21.91 per month if you want to pay-as-you-go.

Offline siehorst

• Board Member
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 11:44:56 AM »
Hi Julia,
1. Buy Webplus x8 now,
good decission as it brings you calm and time to make up your mind how to proceed in future. I have the impression  that there are lots of former webplus users sitting on a fence.
For me It is not only waiting for a new software but having a look what is the development of webdesign in general. There are lots of so called modern items I disagree, and as my needs are not changing so dramatically I will take that time beyond the sixty (another one here).
Welcome, Julia. horst

Offline Smee

• Board Member
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 08:34:33 PM »
Alfred and Frank,
Thanks very much for this. I've kept a copy of the pdf document and just started reading it. Looks very promising.
I am now considering a two-pronged approach:

1. Buy Webplus x8 now, (£20) to get rid of the immediate Webplus x6 hanging problem and allow me to carry on seamlessly with my sites (assuming x6 files import OK on the x8 software).
2. Also buy Muse, and start building my smaller sites on it, to get used to it, and learn how to make responsive sites, so that when I have more time (when I retire in three years time) I can switch to Muse completely and re-build the big site (Saturation Point).

Now does this sound sensible, or are there drawbacks I haven't thought of? For example, if Muse is upgraded/ improved periodically, would I be better to wait, and what is the Muse pricing structure, regarding updates?

Thanks again for your help
Julia

Welcome Julia, sounds like a good plan to get the WPX8 ... personally, never had an issue with upgrading any of my sites, but then again, I had WPX7 before WPX8 so that might be why I had no issues.

I subscribed to the Xara 365 software for one year, and may extend one more but in all likelihood this will be my last year of even bothering. Everyone wants to sell subscriptions, no one sells software any more.

Don't care for greedy people ... and that's what subscription software amounts to. You --- AND YOUR SITES --- are held hostage to their subscription based system.
A few of my favorite pics ... http://www.500px.com/ccjr221

Offline Lon in NWArkansas

• Ninja
  • Board Member
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2016, 08:44:16 PM »
Welcome, Julia

I've had zero luck opening and saving X6 sites in X8, but never a problem with X7 in X8....or, X6 to X7 and then on to X8.  Just the vagaries of operating systems, I suspect.

Lon "way on the wrong side of 60" in NW Arkansas