Author Topic: Sparkle gets better and better.  (Read 3092 times)

Offline Ice-Cold

• Board Member
Re: Sparkle gets better and better.
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2016, 09:12:49 AM »
Interesting application that Sparkle.

Working with a CMS application mainly but I have seen this is not suited for everyone. Some clients have no clue or don't bother in updating their CMS. For such clients it's maybe better to knock up a site using an application like this.

ps.

And Hi Frank, good to be back  ;D

Online Lon in NWArkansas

• Ninja
  • Board Member
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2016, 09:49:32 AM »
Thanks for looking, Frank.  The ease of use of Sparkle is nothing short of amazing, and I'm very grateful that you brought it to our attention. The transition from W+ to Sparkle is very intuitive, and with all of the flexibility that W+ offers, but without the clutter of menus, options, studios, dialogs and sub-dialogs that W+ had become.  W+ does just about everything, but it is also guilty of trying to be like a Swiss Army Knife.  I'm sure that most of us long-time W+ users feel that it is like an old shoe.  However, to the newcomer, it must still feel rather intimidating.

Sparkle seems to take the road that less is more.  Yet, it's not really "less" when it comes to the design/creativity part of it. No, there's not a photo editor built in.  No, there's no Cutout Studio.  No pencil or pen tool.  Depending on the person and their needs, other apps will be needed for the creation of certain design elements. Sparkle is clean and uncluttered, and I do hope that it stays that way, even if it means that I need to buy some additional software to stand with it.

But, WYSIWYG and Drag-and-Drop Sparkle is...in spades, with the ability to embed snippets of code too. And, with the CSS control right up front, not hidden deep within the recesses of cryptic dialog boxes.  They have done a very good job of getting the unneeded, or seldom used stuff out of the way, and giving the designer what they do need to prototype a site quickly and flexibly, and without hamstringing them with pre-defined frames or compartments.  Sparkle is like the essence of W+, not a replication. But, it still offers the designer total flexibility and control.

Next is to allow my Sister time to do some day-dreaming with her business idea and product assembly. It's all hand-made items, that she herself makes. So, there's no shipping container full of sweat-shop produced products ready to go, and little I have to do until she gets a few things finished and ready for inclusion.  In the meantime, my next goal is to really get my head around the mobile part of Sparkle.  And, I may come back with either questions, or my own "How To" process, based on my experiments and playing.

In the meantime, creating is fun again.  You might even say it....er...sparkles.

Thanks, Frank.  You exposed a gem.

Online Lon in NWArkansas

• Ninja
  • Board Member
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2016, 09:58:35 AM »
Interesting application that Sparkle.

Working with a CMS application mainly but I have seen this is not suited for everyone. Some clients have no clue or don't bother in updating their CMS. For such clients it's maybe better to knock up a site using an application like this.

ps.

And Hi Frank, good to be back  ;D

Welcome, Ice-Cold.  Yes, I think you are correct.  And, for the many who loudly wished for a W+ that would run on a Mac, Sparkle is an almost direct hit, IMO.  I'm just fortunate to have both platforms already.

Lon "Win-Macky" in NWArkansas  :o

Offline Ice-Cold

• Board Member
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2016, 12:43:55 PM »
Welcome, Ice-Cold.  Yes, I think you are correct.  And, for the many who loudly wished for a W+ that would run on a Mac, Sparkle is an almost direct hit, IMO.  I'm just fortunate to have both platforms already.

Hi Lon,

I only work on Imac & Macbook.

Sparkle seems to take the road that less is more.  Yet, it's not really "less" when it comes to the design/creativity part of it. No, there's not a photo editor built in.  No, there's no Cutout Studio.  No pencil or pen tool.  Depending on the person and their needs, other apps will be needed for the creation of certain design elements. Sparkle is clean and uncluttered, and I do hope that it stays that way, even if it means that I need to buy some additional software to stand with it.

Besides web applications I use Affinity Designer for logos en web-graphics. Works great. Have posted a Beemer drawing here once  I created in AD. What I've read the dark UI is bothering some people, I don't look at that. For me is most important what the application does. Other tools I often use are PS, Lightroom Aurora HDR, Luminar and sometimes Affinity Photo (I have an Adobe account for Photo editing, so not that much). However, there are some great tools in Affinity Photo.

If you are interested, one of my sites;  deymann (dot) com
They maintain the site themselves for over a year now.

Online Lon in NWArkansas

• Ninja
  • Board Member
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2016, 01:09:13 PM »
Have posted a Beemer drawing here once  I created in AD. What I've read the dark UI is bothering some people, I don't look at that. For me is most important what the application does.

I did see your Beemer.  Nicely done.  (thu)  I'm rather graphically challenged, but do dabble from time to time.

I have some sight deficiencies, so the dark UI is a small, but growing problem for me, also.  I have an aging PC, however, and have begun to think about a new one during this last year. However, as I transition to Mac....maybe for good...I'm looking at the all-in-one, with the big 24" or 27" screen.  My next door neighbor has one, and even I can see everything on that monster....crystal clear and so sharp.  Pretty much sold me on that avenue, perhaps next year.

Online Lon in NWArkansas

• Ninja
  • Board Member
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2016, 01:13:26 PM »
I did a quick once-through on the Sparkle documentation, before starting any work.  Then, I played around....built three quick down-and-dirty sites, and a holding page for my sister's site http://www.dancingeagledesigns.com. Now that I have my feet wet, I'm going back through the documentation with fresh eyes (well....my same old poor eyes)....but a fresh perspective, and thus able to pick up things that I missed, or glossed over on the first reading.

Loving Sparkle a lot!!

Offline Alfred

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Board Administrator
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2016, 01:17:50 PM »
I have some sight deficiencies, so the dark UI is a small, but growing problem for me, also.
That problem is being addressed as we speak. :)

https://twitter.com/andysomerfield/status/806871055142965249
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)

Online Lon in NWArkansas

• Ninja
  • Board Member
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2016, 01:25:17 PM »
I have some sight deficiencies, so the dark UI is a small, but growing problem for me, also.
That problem is being addressed as we speak. :)

https://twitter.com/andysomerfield/status/806871055142965249

That's very good news, indeed.  Thanks, Alfred.   (thu)

Offline Ice-Cold

• Board Member
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2016, 03:23:48 AM »
Downloaded the free version to play with it. Maybe I did not see it but where to add code and css for ion-icons and css for font-awesome ? Only the basic code to call the standard icons can be added in the fragment what I saw.

Anyway.. knocked up a quick homepage in Sparkle while waiting. Only one thing; with the free version there is no way to save to disk, so made a screenshot  ;D

Don't think I gonna use it much but keep it in mind.

Offline Frank B.

• Support
  • Board Member
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2016, 05:05:55 AM »
You can add code by selecting the Embed icon from the tools palette. This opens a small code window in the properties panel on the right of the screen where you can add any code you like.

Your question about icon fonts is also interesting. There is no real need to get into the CSS unless you really need to. In the other post started by Lon (about the marquee select tool), I posted some information on how to use these fonts within Sparkle just by adding them to sparkle's font list and then cheating with copy and paste.

Of course, I well appreciate that there is much more that can be done to pacify the more technical among us. Even our developers use Sparkle to create the client review website, but invariably they then use the CSS, Javascript and HTML files that are generated as a starting point for future hand coding of the site. You may be able to look at what gets produced by publishing to disk - I think this is possible in the free version. Then you can go and have a play with the generated files. The code is quite clean and efficient.

Offline Ice-Cold

• Board Member
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2016, 07:40:02 AM »
On the screenshot (Icons bottom), that is Font Awesome. Only did not know where to place the styling of them. Although it is better to use ion-icons. That is more reliable.

The save to disk folder is locked in my version.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 08:01:27 AM by Mick »

Online Lon in NWArkansas

• Ninja
  • Board Member
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2017, 02:01:32 AM »
Version 2.2.3 is out.  Not sure just how long it's been released, but upgraded today.