Author Topic: Sony Movie Studio 12 Platinum  (Read 2340 times)

Offline pioneer

• Nil Desperandum
Sony Movie Studio 12 Platinum
« on: August 07, 2016, 07:56:48 PM »
Eric.  It's taken me all weekend to get the feel of this program.  It took me ages to work out the title effect.  I still cannot find anywhere in the program to set the duration of a clip like you can in MVP.  I will keep looking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0msanIE6uJQ

Offline ericlnz

• Board Member
Re: Sony Movie Studio 12 Platinum
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 12:46:48 AM »
It's taken me several years playing with it occasionally.  The secret is it does things in different ways so one needs to forget old MVP habits!  There is no convenient properties pane giving you the start position and duration of a clip.  Makes you appreciate mvp.

Your video is private so cannot watch it.

Offline pioneer

• Nil Desperandum
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 07:29:24 AM »
Sorry Eric. its now public so you should be able to view it.  Its only a few seconds.

Offline ericlnz

• Board Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 09:30:02 AM »
Thanks John.  Nice scenery.

I've not tried any slide shows with MS12.  It's only recently now I have a 64 bit machine that I've really got into using it. 

Recently I redid some old film audio visuals that years ago I made into DVDs.  This time I exported as HD to Blu-ray using my original jpg scans with my original vob files on an MVP timeline track to guide me with scene lengths and transitions. Originally I had used "Memories to TV" to create the discs.  It was a slideshow programme but in my early video days I also used it to convert avi video files ex MVP into DVDs.  Also a few years ago when I considered seriously getting back into audio visuals (but didn't) I purchased ProShow Gold.  A great programme.  Slideshow programmes approach things differently to video editing programmes. 

If you are into gardening you might appreciate this short AV https://vimeo.com/147280335

With MS12 you can set the duration for stills added and overlap when a group are dragged in.  As for accurately adjusting the length of video clips there are ways of doing this.  If you get stuck I'll introduce you to my methods.

Offline ericlnz

• Board Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 09:38:47 AM »
I see you've posted on the Sony forum John.  I'll keep quiet until I see what the knowledgeable folk say.  There's also the Cow forum although the Basics have recently been rolled into the Vegas one so much relates to Vegas not Movie Studio.  https://forums.creativecow.net/magixvegas

Offline Albert Ross

• Board Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 10:25:44 AM »
Don't know anything about Sony Movie Studio I'm afraid, but just wanted to say what a lovely Audio/Video Eric. Great pictures and the narration is quite exquisite.

Offline pioneer

• Nil Desperandum
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 10:42:19 AM »
Eric the video was great and the close ups very professional.  What was the sound track?

My wife and I had a Garden and Grounds maintenance business before we retired and our son in law has taken over the business. 

We recently bought approx 300 square metres of overgrown and neglected land of a builder at the rear of our garden which we have cultivated, half into an allotment and the other half for chickens and logging activities.
Eric found an answer from 2008 in the https://forums.creativecow.net/magixvegas that works ok.... "What you have to do is double-click the event to make a selection. Then in the lower right corner of the timeline are three timecode readouts. The third one is the selection length. These can actually be edited so you can type in the length you want and the selection will change. Then drag the end of the clip until it snaps to the selection".

Sorry to have posted a bit off the Forum subject with MS but you and Albert seem a couple of helpful and friendly guys.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 12:08:12 PM by pioneer »

Offline ericlnz

• Board Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 12:43:30 PM »
I'll answer the last part first.  Yes John that's how I do it other than changing the values which I didn't know about.  You will have noted above the timeline a useful indication of the plus or minus amount of any dragging which I use having worked out how much extra I need. Also your numerical keypad is useful for precise frame moving or trimming.  Refer SM12s Help for details.  Oh, be warned with the 64 bit version the Help screens crash on me if you go into two levels of info.  So I often open up Help outside of the programme with a shortcut.

My Garden Visitors has my 1980s original soundtrack when I was thirty plus years younger. Of recent years Green Vege Bugs have become rare as fortunately have our large Gisborne Cockroaches.  The roaches aren't in the video as I don't think Auckland had them then.  The music I'll have to track down.  The opening sounds like Eric Pep.  Unfortunately my paper notes got chucked out years ago.

Offline ericlnz

• Board Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 01:33:27 PM »
Well the music I've located using MVP's Media Library where I have my music, and can hover over to play, consists of three tunes from special LPs for amateur movie makers that I purchased in the 1960s in UK.

"Backyard Nature" from Sound for a Picture Evening Vol 2
"Happy & Exhilarating - Bustle" from CDC Custom Music for 8mm
"Holidays-S.American Tempo" also from CDC Custom Music for 8mm

I still have the LPs plus others and Eric Pepperell tapes and LPs plus a few BBC ones.  Transferred to music cassette years ago and subsequently to PC.  No digital music or internet in those far away days.  The original 35mm transparencies, Kodak and Agfa, were shot with Olympus OM gear using flash for most shots.

The following users thanked this post: pioneer

Offline Albert Ross

• Board Member
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 12:32:55 PM »
I had a quick look at a You Tube tutorial concerning Sony Movie Studio, it seems they are up to v13 now. It does seem to be a bit clunky compared to MVP. You even have to set up the project setting before dragging anything onto the timeline. The program apparently cannot detect the source files that are being used. Lots of the tools do not seem to be so obvious to get to as MVP. I am not saying that it's not so good as MVP, and I agree with you Eric that you cannot allow MVP habits to influence you when learning a new program - I found that when I migrated from Pinnacle Studio!!

Maybe worth looking into....

Offline ericlnz

• Board Member
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 01:24:50 PM »
Albert, your comments aren't in line with my experience.  I disagree with whoever made them.  You can change the Project Settings after you've added media should you desire to do so and MS12 detects source files and gives more info about them than MVP!

Anyway it's V14 due out next year under the ownership of Magix that is of interest.  Vegas the Pro version is out soon.

Offline Albert Ross

• Board Member
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 01:45:55 PM »
I think the person who made the tutorial was covering all bases. This is the bit I was thinking off https://youtu.be/YB065nL2LqY?t=171 He says that you even have to tell the program whether you are working in PAL, NTSC or SECAM...

Offline pioneer

• Nil Desperandum
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 05:02:26 PM »
Eric slowly working m way round the program. I still prefer MvP at the moment for ease of use though. I produced a 2 minute video and uploaded from the made file to YouTube this afternoon in Mvp, going to try the same later this week in MS12 and see how the rendering times differ making use of my Nvidia Geforce card)  The tutorial that Albert posted was ver13.  I have ver 12 which I think is the same as yours. It's such a "dar gon" shame the Serif are not going to pursue MvP any more.

Offline ericlnz

• Board Member
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2016, 01:12:09 AM »
I think the person who made the tutorial was covering all bases. This is the bit I was thinking off https://youtu.be/YB065nL2LqY?t=171 He says that you even have to tell the program whether you are working in PAL, NTSC or SECAM...

I haven't watched the video but looks like the author hasn't spent much time on it from the incorrect comments.

My MS12 always opens with PAL as does MVP because that was selected somewhere.

I'm wary of reviews of editing programmes.  Many times I've seen MVP way down the list of preferred programs behind others which I can consider way inferior.  Usually it's because the others impress the reviewers with way more fancy effects and transitions etc.  Ease of editing doesn't appear to count!