Author Topic: technical questions  (Read 819 times)

Offline pioneer

• Nil Desperandum
technical questions
« on: July 30, 2016, 04:48:11 PM »
More out of curiosity than anything else.
(1)How do I do I find out the codec of an imported video.
(2) Some of the files I have are mpeg and some are mp4 what is the difference when it comes to editing, I normally output as Mp4 files.
forgive me for being a bit thick on this. John

Offline Alfred

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Board Administrator
Re: technical questions
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 06:37:01 PM »
(1) Use the free MediaInfo tool.

(2) MPEG-4 is a video codec. MP4 is a container format which can be used to store MPEG-4 video, but other container formats such as AVI and MKV can also be used.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)

The following users thanked this post: pioneer

Offline ericlnz

• Board Member
Re: technical questions
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 01:59:46 AM »
I read somewhere recently that mpeg4 aka AVC aka H264 is far superior to mpeg2.  A mpg2 file of around 22 Mbps is equivalent to mpg4 at around 16 Mbps or thereabouts as I forget the exact figures.  That's because of superior compression and the newer H265 is apparently even better.

With MVP all mp4 exports are 25p (for PAL) which I find less smooth than 50i.  So whilst I use mp4 for my Vimeo uploads I use Blu-ray 50i m2ts for discs and thumbdrives. MVP uses AVC for these.  The only time I use mpeg2 nowadays is for SD DVDs.

The following users thanked this post: pioneer