Author Topic: Sony Movie Studio 12 Platinum  (Read 1839 times)

Offline pioneer

• Nil Desperandum
Sony Movie Studio 12 Platinum
« on: July 30, 2016, 10:47:15 AM »
Good morning, I have an opportunity to buy this program as a replacement or to use alongside MP, so just a couple of quick questions on this program.  (1) Do any Forum members use this program, if so what are your thoughts on it? (2) Does it work Ok on win10 64bit?  Thanks John

Offline ericlnz

• Board Member
Re: Sony Movie Studio 12 Platinum
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 11:12:55 AM »
I use MS12 John although I've yet to actually complete a movie with it.  I've had it a few years and it's my replacement for MVP eventually.  It works perfectly on my Win 10 64 bit as it is a 64 (and 32) bit program.

It's an oldish program having been superseded by V13.  But Sony Creative Software have sold it along with some other programs to Magix.  Sony Vegas and Movie Studio were in the doldrums and the Sony forums users are quite excited as Magix intend developing it alongside their own products.  Vegas 14 (the pro version) is due out in a few months and I understand Movie Studio 14 will follow next year.

As for my thoughts on it.  There's a lot MVP does that MS doesn't or else MVP does better.  But as I play and dig deeper into MS I keep finding useful things it does that MVP doesn't.  It's a question of changing one's workflow.  After ten years of using MVP I had got into a routine.  I've found a few issues which I've had to work around, but then that applies to MVP as well.  If you purchase the MS12 Platinum suite you will also get DVD Architect Studio, Soundforge and other stuff.  Architect Studio is great for DVDs and Blu-ray discs but it doesn't do AVCHD on DVD (I use Nero Video for my single movie AVCHD discs) and DVDAS doesn't do Dolby audio with Blu-ray so it's converted to LPCM. With DVDAS you can customise just about everything and being able to create play all lists is great.  It takes off from where MVP ends with disc authoring.

As MS12 is a cut down version of Vegas it has more of a pro feel about it than MVP but in my opinion MVP is much easier to use having been designed ground up for us consumers.  I've looked at, or tried with trial downloads, a few other editors but none have I considered as good as MVP.  But second best for me is Movie Studio.  Oh it does have a learning curve but then a video editor that can be mastered in five minutes would be hardly worth having.

The following users thanked this post: pioneer

Offline pioneer

• Nil Desperandum
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 11:45:31 AM »
Eric thank you very much for such a thoughtful and comprehensive reply.  I use MP for all my video work and have used it for many years so doing most things comes naturally.  That said this opportunity came along and I am tempted by it.  My biggest concern was that it would work on win10 64bit.  My laptop has a 12gb ram an intel Core I7 and Nvdia GeForce 940m graphic card so I think the program should run comfortably. I did not realise there was a trial version, may give that a go to start with.  Thank you once again. John

Offline ericlnz

• Board Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 12:10:25 PM »
Your laptop is way more powerful than my desktop!  If you download a trial it will be for MS13 which got mixed reception on the Sony Forum due to its interface.

Offline pioneer

• Nil Desperandum
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 08:45:17 AM »
Eric have purchased ver 12  now after reading different independent reviews on both ver 12 and 13.  From what I have read  neither ver 12 or 13 supports masking (as it is a cut down version of its big brother) but has other features that MVP does not have, so will probably use both to make a video as needed. The blue titling looks interesting.

Offline ericlnz

• Board Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 10:06:59 AM »
John, MS12 Platinum does support masking if by that you mean isolating, or cutting out, an area to work on or replace.  You need to create a parent/child group of tracks and give the parent mask compositing mode.  There is also a cookie cutter video effect which you add to a clip so you don't even have to create a mask track.  However, MS doesn't have lots of premade Quickshapes to use as masks like MVP.  Also be aware that MS12 Platinum is more extensive than ordinary MS12 which can be confusing.

The NewBlue titles don't work on my machine as I don't have sufficient GPU capabilities so you will have to tell me what I'm missing.  Surprisingly the NewBlue effects do work despite the blurb saying they don't work with Intel, which I have.  The MagicBullet Quicklooks also work.  But I'm not into fancy effects.  Movies to me need to tell a story not show off fancy effects.

MS also doesn't have a Transform adjustment like MVP but so far I've not found anything that I do in MVP that I cannot do in MS12 by some other means. And MS12 has many options in its menus that MVP doesn't.  And when it comes to mp4 exports you have the choice between Mainconcept and Sony's AVC.  I've found Sony's best.

Offline ericlnz

• Board Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 10:41:42 AM »
John, here's evidence with a home made feathered circle mask being a png file.

Offline pioneer

• Nil Desperandum
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 10:48:05 AM »
Thanks for all the info Eric, I will report back on my usage and findings.  As an aside I am not sure what smartphone you have, but there is an App called "Prisma" that takes and processes an image with different built in effects, It can also access your library and apply the effects to an image taken with the built in camera. its quite good fun. Sorry I posted before I saw your last post.  Great tip thank you.

Offline pioneer

• Nil Desperandum
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 09:44:10 AM »
Good morning Eric, have now installed MS platinum 12 suite, quite pleased with and the UI is very similar to MVP however I will probably have to use it quite a bit as there is a lot to learn (which wont come easy at my age). Sorry I meant to ask also when using Architect studio 5 I am prompted to associate *.dar  with the program, what are *.dar files.  Have not associated yet awaiting further clarification. best...John
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 10:00:29 AM by pioneer »

Offline ericlnz

• Board Member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 12:29:30 PM »
*dar files are DVDAS's own project files like *.mvp files are MoviePlus's.  MS12 project files are *.vf.