Author Topic: The Project Media List  (Read 1188 times)

Offline Albert Ross

• Board Member
The Project Media List
« on: February 21, 2016, 10:19:31 PM »
I was tempted to ask this on CP a few minutes ago, but didn't want to derail the thread. Eric, you said 'The Project Media List is very useful. I always print it out and keep with my project paperwork.' Can you tell me in what way you find it useful, I am struggling to see how a list of clips that have been used in a project is in anyway useful. I would love for you to go into more detail on how I could use it to make the editing process that much easier. I realise that my videos are not so involved as yours, so perhaps I would not benefit from using the PML, but I am simply very curious.

Offline ericlnz

• Board Member
Re: The Project Media List
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 12:48:13 AM »
It's probably of less use to me nowadays but I used a list from an old project only the other day.  With my old Panasonic SD tape camera I used its Panasonic software to capture from tape.  This created a useful tape index of every scene using the timecode and from this I captured almost every scene.  These were saved as separate avi files rather like the separate files we nowadays download from our AVCHD card/memory cameras.  I've never captured direct from tape to MVP relying on it to split long captures into scenes.  My captured files are archived onto external HDs so I can always open old MVP projects by plugging in one of the drives and directing MVP to it when it cannot find the files on my HD because they were deleted years ago and were probably on an old computer.  But I hadn't kept all my old 8mm film capture.  Recently I wanted to rework an old project and this is where my list came in.  It told me where the original files came from namely the Tape number and file number.  By loading my old Panasonic capture software and the appropriate tape index I could see the scenes I needed to recapture, select them on the index, and recapture from tape.  Easy.

Also I take general shots which are not related to a project at time of shooting.  But later on they get used.  For example sea, waves, clouds, trees etc.  When I use them I try to avoid using a clip I've used in a previous project.  Again this is where my list comes in.  It shows files in name order so it's easy to check old project lists to see if I've previously used a clip.

But this is just my personal way of doing things.  I tend to keep things.

Offline Albert Ross

• Board Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 10:23:38 AM »
So to paraphrase, the PML is used to locate previously used scenes for future projects. In essence every time you finish a brand new project with brand new scenes, you then copy and print off the PML so that you can refer to it at a later stage and be able to incorporate some of these scenes in  future projects. I tend to think once I have finished a project and exported to DVD and/or uploaded to 'You Tube' then that is the end of it. The only thing I keep is the finished article.

Thanks for the explanation Eric - it was very interesting.

Offline ericlnz

• Board Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 10:52:53 PM »
So to paraphrase, the PML is used to locate previously used scenes for future projects.

Not quite, it's the other way around.  It helps identify shots that I've used so I don't reuse them.

The following users thanked this post: Albert Ross