Author Topic: Optical Discs  (Read 1575 times)

Offline ericlnz

• Board Member
Optical Discs
« on: January 14, 2016, 07:36:37 AM »
There are two brands of discs recommended by the pros for quality and reliability namely Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim.  I've never used the former although they are/were available by mail order in NZ.  I've stuck with Verbatim although you won't find them in stores nowadays, only mail order.

But burning discs is on the decline.  I burn very few compared to a few years ago.  So this isn't a surprise  http://www.myce.com/news/victorjvc-media-shutting-down-in-december-76342/

Offline Albert Ross

• Board Member
Re: Optical Discs
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 02:26:01 PM »
The days of DVDs do appear to be numbered don't they? Is it simply because they occupy too much room in the lounge area, and just add to the clutter in the living room. I suspect that a lot of video makers store their videos on pen drives as they are so much smaller and they store so much more information. My own opinion is if that is the way that it's going, we will have lost another aspect of video making, and that is the design of the DVD box. I very much enjoy the creativity of being able to manipulate pictures and text so that it can be cut out and wrapped around the DVD case. With a pen drive holding umpteen videos, how are you going to identify what is on the stick before you insert it into the player?  ???

Offline nfc212

• Developer
  • n
  • Board Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 03:21:34 PM »
With a pen drive holding umpteen videos, how are you going to identify what is on the stick before you insert it into the player?  ???

Design a DVD size box to hold pen drives?

iceCold

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 04:03:35 PM »
At home only working with media-players, drives and other streaming devices last years.  Had a few writable DVD's in the past that in time only were harder to read when you used them often. Dunno what the price is now but at some time you only paid about € 20,- for a spindel of 100 pieces. TDK, Verbatim, Phillips, FUJI..

Offline nfc212

• Developer
  • n
  • Board Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 04:58:55 PM »
TDK audio cassettes are as rare as rocking horse sh1t now and blank unused ones fetch a good price.

Offline Alfred

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Board Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 09:29:15 PM »
TDK audio cassettes are as rare as rocking horse sh1t now and blank unused ones fetch a good price.
I have quite a few TDK cassettes lying around. I must see whether I have any unused ones!

I once had a 120-minute TDK tape that got tangled up inside the cassette recorder, as these long tapes were quite likely to do because the thinner plastic made them more stretchy than the 60- and 90-minute ones. I took them up on their guarantee, and they sent me a replacement cassette with no questions asked. They obviously knew what they were doing, because most of the tapes I bought subsequently were TDK (but usually 60 or 90 minutes rather than 120).

I also had three or four 46-minute TDK tapes. The 23 minutes per side was ideal for taping most LPs.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)

Offline ericlnz

• Board Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 10:06:40 PM »
Since this thread has drifted from discs to tape perhaps this is not out of place http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=11574148

Wasn't it Einstein who said that light travels in a circle of infinite radius?