Author Topic: Masking with MP X6?  (Read 2475 times)

Offline siehorst

• Board Member
Masking with MP X6?
« on: January 13, 2016, 01:15:37 PM »
Hi,
is it possible to mask parts of a video to apply effects only to not masked areas?

horst

Offline Alfred

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Board Administrator
Re: Masking with MP X6?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 01:53:23 PM »
Put the video track in a video group with a masking overlay track on top; add a masking shape to the overlay track, and transform that shape to cover a particular area (which you can adjust over time with keyframes). Set the blend mode for the overlay track to 'Mask' if you want to show the masked area, or 'Unmask' if you want to hide it. Anything on video tracks below the group will show through the resultant transparent area.

If you put another copy of the same video clip in the track below the group, applying an effect such as greyscale to the track in the group will give you a mixture of greyscale and colour.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)

The following users thanked this post: Mick, siehorst

Offline siehorst

• Board Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 04:29:05 PM »
Hey, that sounds great.
There has been only very little hope that there is a way.
I will report on success  :) .
horst

Offline siehorst

• Board Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 06:39:12 PM »
Ok, I achieved what I wanted to get, but I think it is not exactly the way you showed me?
I attached a screenshot of the settings and here
http://siehorst.de/uploads/abc.mp4
is the result (last sunday we started to do video recordings on our training). At about 2:15  during the first part of the sked singing I put some motion blur to the singer.
horst

Offline Alfred

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Board Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 10:24:05 PM »
Ok, I achieved what I wanted to get, but I think it is not exactly the way you showed me?
Without your MoviePlus Project (*.mvp) file, it's hard to see what you did that was so different, but it's a good result! (thu)

P.S. I'm glad that your singer was back in one piece at the end of the video. :D
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)

Offline tomH

• Board Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 10:31:43 PM »
Horst, I masked the singer alone in PhotoPlus. Then in Movieplus applied a motion blur to a copy of the original track  in a Video Group. M+ applies the blur to the entire masked track despite keyframes, so I had to clip it to match the mask, but it works. Same steps outlined by Alfred. See here on YouTube.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 11:41:56 PM by Alfred »

The following users thanked this post: siehorst

Offline siehorst

• Board Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 11:18:59 PM »
P.S. I'm glad that your singer was back in one piece at the end of the video. :D
Hi Alfred. That video is just a playground, the very first we have taken and learning stuff for me but not suitable for real public purpose. That will come. We regard this year as the year of decision  :)

See here on YouTube[/url].
Not available for me. Maybe I'll take a look via TOR gate tomorrow. ... no, I think the link is somhow broken.

Offline Alfred

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Board Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 11:43:35 PM »
no, I think the link is somhow broken.
Yes, it was, but I've fixed it now. :)

Offline tomH

• Board Member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 11:45:14 PM »
Thanks for the fix, Alfred, what was wrong? Or better question, how does one post a link here?

Offline Alfred

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Board Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 11:58:40 PM »
Thanks for the fix, Alfred, what was wrong? Or better question, how does one post a link here?
You had the link as something like
Code: [Select]
[url=http:// See here on YouTube]See here on YouTube[/url]

I originally changed it to the standard form of the URL with 'watch?v=I7uhgb5cfZo' but that still came out funny, so I used the shortened URL instead, like this:
Code: [Select]
[url=https://youtu.be/I7uhgb5cfZo]See here on YouTube[/url]

In summary, you need to type and select the display text ('See here on YouTube' in your example) and click on the 'Insert Hyperlink' icon on the toolbar, and then put '=https://youtu.be/I7uhgb5cfZo' (or whatever) after the opening '[url'.

Clear as mud? ??? ???

Offline tomH

• Board Member
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 12:09:02 AM »
Clear enough, and I will refer back to this when needed.

Thanks Alfred.

Offline Alfred

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Board Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 12:21:03 AM »
You're welcome, Tom. Thanks for posting your tutorial video: nicely done, as usual! (thu)

Offline siehorst

• Board Member
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2016, 09:19:14 AM »
Good morning Tom,
that is absolutely great, thank you!
Especially how you provided the handmade mask.
Just one disagree: the amount of blur. It has to do with the text he is singing, and he just is in and sitting on a cloud dreaming  :) .
(MP is not that bad)
horst